22 September, 2011

Thai Spicy duck salad (Larb Ped)


Today is my day off after 2 weeks non-stop working.  That’s great made I have more time to check my blog posted.  And I have found that the ducks and fish are very low post for my recipe.  Well…why not??  I choose duck menu for today.   Cos we love sour and spicy things for myself and also 3-4 cook friends around here in my place.  And because of they’re in my place…then I will be cooking for them.  Let’s me talk about duck a little before kitchen. 

We usually use duck meat  is derived primarily from the breasts and legs of ducks. The meat of the legs is darker and somewhat fattier than the meat of the breasts, although the breast meat is darker than the breast meat of a chicken. Ducks have a layer of heat insulating subcutaneous fat between the skin and the meat.  De-boned duck breast can be grilled like steak, usually leaving the skin and fat on.  Duck is used in a variety of dishes around the world, most of which involve roasting for at least part of the cooking process to aid in crisping the skin.  In this menu I going to cook is came from north-east (I-san) and very famous from there to Bangkok…the method is using duck meat, boned less…drooling with 3 tastes…sour, salty and spicy…let’s go into my kitchen...
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup minced duck meat
  • 2 tbsp of lime juice
  • 2 tbsp of fish sauce
  • 3 tbsp of soup
  • 1 tbsp of red chili power
  • 2 tbsp shallots, finely sliced
  • 2 tbsp  spring onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 tbsp roasted sticky rice power
  • 1 tbsp mints leaves
  • 1 tbsp Chili fries
  • Fresh vegetables such as cabbage, lettuce, long green bean, cucumber etc.

Go for cook:
  1. Take the duck meat and chopped it to a fairly fine consistency you can use a food processor, but this tends to reduce it to a paste.  It is better if you can manage it to cut it very fine.  Thais chop with two cleavers at once, but a single very sharp knife will do.
  2. Place mince duck in a hot small pot, stir fry the meat until just cooked, then remove from the heat.
  3. Place in to a mixing bowl and add soup, lime, fish sauce, chili power, shallots, roasted sticky rice power, spring onion and combine well.
  4. To taste and if necessary adjust the seasonings.
  5. Serve on a bed of lettuce leaves, garnishing with mint and fried chili and fresh vegetables.

Note:  Traditionally larb is a very hot dish. You can virtually add as much powdered chili, and fried chilis as your like...and it's really great with cold beers...drooling...@^_^@